Monday, November 8, 2010

Corned beef-the impossible pairing?

I love a slow-cooked meal out of the Le Creuset any day and I know exactly which wines to pair with pot roasts, chicken thighs, soups, etc., but what the h-e-double hockey sticks do I dare sip with corned beef and cabbage?

No way, unless it's beer, you say? Shun the non-believers and try Rose'!!

My husband and mom were contented sipping a nice French red (we'd already voted a Pinot Noir off dinner island) with the meal until they saw my reaction to the Chateau Saint Nabor Rose' and the impossibly salty beef. I swear, all you have to do to get people to try and admit they like rose' is make a mean food match like this and they WILL be converted.

This rose' is a Grenache-based little number from the Rhone region in France which I might add, is a hotbed for awesome rose' wines in general (and scads of other wines, too). Its bright, cinnamon dusted cherries, strawberries and a streak of semi-sweet yet dry acidity, forced the salty meat and cabbage into submission. The bottle was empty in 5 minutes.

Rose' is a red wine in chilled, pink clothing. Warm it up, blindfold your friends, and they couldn't tell you the wine in front of them wasn't red.

Mama Somm approved Rose' producers:

Chateau Saint Nabor $10, Borsao $8, La Vielle Ferme $8. Domaine de Fonstainte $14, Domaine Sorin $10, Domaine Tempier Bandol $35. Most are widely available, but feel free to discover your own, too!

And a little "drink pink" quote to end the post today, "...But when my days are Happy Pink it's great to jump and not just think." Dr. Seuss, In My Many Colored Days

~The Mama Somm

No comments:

Post a Comment